Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Difference Maker

* Since this is the first time I'm doing this, I will be explaining this thing I'm doing. Basically, I will write a summary of the message I heard at church on the most recent Sunday.Of course, these are based on the notes I wrote. So it might be a bit confusing. Bear with me. I will then put in what I learned that Sunday.

I hope I can maintain this every week.

Now to begin...



The Difference Maker - Romans 8:1-27
message by Rev. Alexander Uy

What is a difference maker?
-> one that changes the dynamics of something (i.e. a game)
-> x-factor

Examples:
1. Illac Diaz - discipled by a Christian
made a difference by inventing things for the benefit of the poor

2. Efren Penaflorida - a Christian
made a difference by teaching street kids in a non-conventional setting


Same with us, we have someone in our lives who is a difference maker.

The Holy Spirit - the difference maker of every believer
- not "the force" as in Star Wars
- not a Ghost as translated by the King James Version

+ He is God, the third person of the Triune God
+ The Counselor
+ Came upon disciples and gave them power
+ Dwells within the believers

The Holy Spirit is a difference maker:
I. In Our Condition - v.1-2
- change in condition
- free from grip of death
--He changes our condition
- we should live as we are supposed to live
- righteous

II. In Our Concentration - v.5
- focus on what the Spirit desires instead of focusing on the sinful nature
- we are not robots
- we are reminded in Eph. 5:18
- we tend to lose concentration because we neglect the basics of Christianity
(i.e. quiet time, prayer)

III. In Our Confidence
- relationship with Christ (total makeover) - v. 14-16
- we are already God's
- we can approach God CONFIDENTLY
- we don't need to feel inferior
- His love is MORE THAN ENOUGH

IV. As Our Conciliator (Intercessor) - v.26-27
- intercedes with groans we do not understand
- prays for right thing, best thing for me

Recap:
4 Cs:
1. Condition - sinner to saint
2. Concentration - sinful thoughts to God's desires
3. Confidence
4. Conciliator



What I Learned:

This message was a timely reminder. I was indeed refreshed by what the Holy Spirit does and who He is. The second point was particularly true to me. I tend to lose concentration in anything I do. The task given to me usually will not be finished in a good way. I get too easily distracted. I lose focus. A thought suddenly struck me that maybe I focus more on the work instead of God. That was the part I got wrong. Actively involving yourself in God's ministry does not mean that you are aligned with His will. If only you seek God, then it will be revealed to you.

I was also reminded that the Holy Spirit intercedes for us. Indeed it is a happy though that we have Jesus as our mediator, and we have the Holy Spirit interceding for us.

That Sunday's message allowed me to evaluate myself. Hopefully, through this, I can be an effective worker of God.


**note that Rev. Alexander Uy's sermon transcripts can be found at his blogspot.

No comments:

Post a Comment